As BPM 2016 approaches, Pioneer DJ is starting to drip feed new gear to the masses. The first (I assume there’s more) is an updated XDJ-1000MK2, essentially a trickle-down update bringing features from its bigger CDJ-2000NXS2 sibling in the shape of a better touch screen and improved browsing.
Digital edge: Introducing the XDJ-1000MK2 multiplayer –
Enhanced track browsing features and high-quality audio support
25th August 2016: We’ve upgraded one of our most popular USB-only multiplayers to create the XDJ-1000MK2. The new player inherits even more features from the club-standard CDJ-2000NXS2, including its 7-inch full-colour high-resolution touch screen, enhanced track browsing functionality and support for playing high-quality FLAC and ALAC files. Quickly finding the perfect track to play next is easy thanks to Track Filter, which filters tracks by BPM and key, and the new Matching feature displays suitable tracks you’ve previously tagged in rekordbox when they’re mixed with the track that’s currently playing.
The XDJ-1000MK2 also retains key features from before. You can use the Qwerty touch-screen keyboard to search for keywords, then scroll through results on-screen or with the large rotary dial. You can analyse and prepare your tracks in rekordbox and the screen will display at-a-glance information such as Wave Zoom, Beat Counter, Phase Meter and Key Analysis – as well as provide instant access to your pre-prepared cues, loops and customised rekordbox settings. Plus you can colour-code your USB devices and the illuminated USB port will reflect that colour, so you instantly know what’s on each device.
To add even more creativity and variety to your performances, you can connect the DDJ-SP1 controller (sold separately) and use its large Performance Pads for tactile control of many of the new or improved features on the XDJ-1000MK2, including its eight Hot Cues.
Find out more about the rekordbox family.
Find out more about the DDJ-SP1.
KEY FEATURES OF THE XDJ-1000MK2
1. CDJ-style design
The XDJ-1000MK2 handles just like the club-standard CDJ-2000NXS2. Large jog wheels and a 7-inch colour touch screen give you intuitive control over your mix.
2. High-quality files supported among various formats
FLAC and ALAC files are now supported for high-quality sound, as well as MP3, AAC, WAV and AIFF files. You can play tracks prepared in rekordbox directly from your USB storage devices, or from your laptop by using rekordbox, or from your smartphone/iPhone or tablet by using rekordbox mobile for Android or iOS.
3. High-resolution colour LCD touch screen
Finding your next track on the XDJ-1000MK2 comes naturally thanks to the new high-resolution touch screen taken from the CDJ-2000NXS2, which displays large RGB waveforms and includes two new browsing features, Matching and Track Filter.
- Matching: Audition tracks in rekordbox before your performance and mark the ones that mix well together. When playing one of those tracks in your set, the XDJ-1000MK2 suggests matched tracks to play next.
- Track Filter: Refine your track search by filtering tracks by rekordbox information such as My Tag, as well as BPM and Key. Touch the screen and you can easily find related tracks to fit into your performance.
- Search: Bring up the Qwerty keyboard on the touch screen to search for tracks quickly by name or keyword.
4. Expanded performance features
Unleash your creativity using a number of features inherited from the CDJ-2000NXS2.
- Hot Cues: Instantly start playback at a preset point. Up to eight Hot Cues can be set in advance to give you even more choice in the mix.
- Quantize: Cue and loop points on tracks that have been beat-analysed in rekordbox will automatically set in time with the track you’re playing. You can fine-tune the Quantize value even more accurately for total control.
MIDI controller interface: Connect the DDJ-SP1 controller with a USB cable for tactile control of numerous features of the XDJ-1000MK2, including Hot Cues, auto loops and Slip Mode. One DDJ-SP1 can control up to four XDJ multiplayers using Pro DJ Link.
5. Pro DJ Link
Pro DJ Link lets you play tracks from one USB device across up to four multiplayers and unlocks a host of information and features.
- Link Export: Connect your laptop using a USB or LAN cable to play tracks directly from your rekordbox library instead of using a USB device.
- Beat Count and Phase Meter: Use rekordbox to mark key points on a track, and Beat Count will count down the beats to them from up to 64 bars away. Phase Meter shows the position of the beat in the bar, so you can compare the phase of each player with the master deck at a glance.
- Beat Sync: Hit the Beat Sync button and you can align the beat positions and BPMs of tracks (that have been beat-analysed in rekordbox) playing on two multiplayers connected by Pro DJ Link.
6. rekordbox ready
Use rekordbox to manage and prepare your tracks on your PC/Mac, tablet, smartphone or iPhone and use the XDJ-1000MK2’s features for creative performances on the fly.
7. High-quality audio
The XDJ-1000MK2 inherits high-quality audio design from the CDJ-2000NXS2. As well as analogue output terminals, a digital output sends audio without degradation, and the power supply circuit for analogue audio is completely separate from the digital circuit, reducing unwanted noise.
8. Other features
- Shortcut button: Instantly switch to Browse mode or bring up My Settings.
- Multicoloured wave display and Wave Zoom: Visually shows entire tracks from rekordbox.
- Memory Cues: Check comments on Memory Cues that you’ve preset in rekordbox.
- My Settings: Prepare your system’s setting preferences in rekordbox and instantly switch to your own settings during DJ changeovers in the booth.
- Beat Jump: Instantly jump backwards or forwards 1, 2 or 4 beats from the current playback position.
- Multicoloured USB port: Colour-code your USB devices in rekordbox, e.g. red for techno or blue for drum & bass, and the light around the USB port will reflect that setting for ease of identification in the booth.
- MIDI/HID control: Use the XDJ-1000MK2 with our performance application rekordbox dj.
Playable media ：iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, Android phone, etc.
USB storage devices (flash memory/HDD, etc.), PC / Mac
Playable files ：MP3 (Sampling rate: 32/44.1/48 kHz, Bit depth: 16-bit), AAC (Sampling rate: 16/22.05/24/32/44.1/48 kHz, Bit depth: 16-bit) WAV, AIFF, FLAC, Apple Lossless (Sampling rate: 44.1/48 kHz, Bit depth: 16/24-bit) * rekordbox for iPhone: MP3 and AAC only
USB storage support
file systems ：FAT, FAT32, HFS+
Frequency response ：4 Hz ～ 20 kHz
S/N ratio ：115 dB or more
Total harmonic distortion ：0.003% or less
USB ports ：USB (Type A) ×１, USB (Type B) ×１
Audio output ports ：AUDIO OUT (RCA) ×１, DIGITAL OUT（COAXIAL）× 1
Other ports ：LAN（100Base-TX）× 1
Audio output voltage ：2.0 Vrms
Power requirements ：AC 110～240 V (50 Hz/60 Hz)
Power consumption ：30 W
Max external dimension
(W x D x H) ：305.0 mm × 382.5 mm × 110.0 mm
Weight ：3.7 kg
The XDJ-1000 is pitched at a particular type of buyer, one that isn’t looking for the next big thing and instead just wants some cool stuff and a solid bang to buck ratio. So anyone wishing to type the inevitable “lack of innovation” comments is missing the point of the XDJ-1000mk2. This is about small steps to update an existing product in an established slot and make it better. You can always add the DDJ-SP1 (surely due for an update?) to add hardware features that otherwise you’d have to shell out much more money for.
From my pre-breakfast, unshowered , and very busy day position, the XDJ-1000mk2 looks like a good update that keeps Pioneer DJ’s range in sync with developments. And now I have to eat, shower, and be busy elsewhere, because there’s little else to be said anyway.