As Pioneer DJ has made its play for global DJ domination, I had a crazy vision of a detailed chart on a wall listing every conceivable DJ product. And as Pioneer DJ has striven to become the one stop shop for every possible need, the boxes have been ticked one by one. And one box left unticked for the longest time has been the DVS box. Until today that is for the INTERFACE 2 is here.
There’s some PR, but I’m pretty sure you can work out exactly what the INTERFACE 2 is and does without it:
Introducing the INTERFACE 2 –
2-channel audio interface for using rekordbox dvs with any DJ set-up
6th July 2017: We’re opening up the rekordbox ecosystem to all DJs by releasing the INTERFACE 2. The new 2-channel audio interface lets you use rekordbox dvs to scratch and control the digital music on your computer using any DJ set-up.
Wherever you choose to perform, using Pioneer DJ products or other hardware, you can connect the INTERFACE 2 quickly and simply to your equipment. It features LED lights to indicate signal flow and warn you about signal problems, and it delivers club-standard sound quality thanks to its high-performance components.
Licence keys for rekordbox dj and rekordbox dvs as well as two timecoded vinyl records, worth a combined €264, are bundled with the INTERFACE 2 so you can start scratching your digital tracks as soon as you unbox it.
The INTERFACE 2 will be available from early July at an SRP of €299 including VAT.
KEY FEATURES OF THE INTERFACE 2
- High-quality soundYou can use the INTERFACE 2 at gigs thanks to its crystal-clear sound, inherited from our professional DJ gear. Supporting audio up to 96 kHz, it features a high-quality D/A converter and the S/N ratio exceeds 110 dB, so it’s well suited for use in clubs.
- Compact, robust chassisTake the INTERFACE 2 out on the road with confidence. The unit is compact and portable, and its seamless aluminium casing makes it highly robust, while the extended edges protect the terminals.
- LEDs indicate signal flowConnect the INTERFACE 2 to any DJ set-up quickly and easily, even in a dark club. After plugging into your laptop via USB, LED indicators on the INTERFACE 2’s top panel show signal flow, giving you a visual grasp of the setting status. You’ll immediately see if there’s a signal failure or a problem with a connection, or if the signal level is too low or high, for example, when a turntable is incorrectly connected to the line input. The LEDs flash if a signal is in mono only.
- Includes control vinyl plus licences for rekordbox dj and rekordbox dvsThe INTERFACE 2 comes with bundled licence keys for our professional DJ performance application rekordbox dj and the rekordbox dvs Plus Pack, so you can control and scratch digital tracks stored on your computer. Using the engine of rekordbox dj, which uses the same audio signal processing in our professional DJ mixers and multiplayers, you can enjoy high-quality audio and low latency response.
- Other features
- Mains or USB power – choose your preferred source.
- Stand-alone audio interface – use the INTERFACE 2 for recording audio to your computer or to send audio to speakers.
- Large signal GND terminal – firmly holds turntables’ ground wires to reduce noise. The knob stays attached even when fully turned, so it can’t be dropped.
- High-quality audio – supports 44.1 kHz / 48 kHz / 96 kHz signals.
- DVS options – use timecoded vinyl (included) or the custom control signal WAV file for use via CDs or USB drive (free download available).
INTERFACE 2 Specifications
Frequency response 20 Hz to 20 kHz S/N ratio 112 dB (USB)
103 dB (LINE)
100 dB (PHONO)
Total harmonic distortion 0.002% (USB)
Input/Output terminals Inputs RCA x2 (LINE/PHONO) Outputs RCA x2 (LINE) Others USB-B port x1 Power AC 100 V to 240 V, 50 Hz/60 Hz Power consumption DC 5 V, 600 mA Maximum dimensions (WｘDｘH) 141 mm x 32.5 mm x 127.8 mm
5.5” x 1.2” x 5.0”
Weight 0.6 kg / 21.1 lb Accessories Power cord, AC adaptor, USB cable, Quick Start Guide, Warranty, Licence key card (rekordbox dj, rekordbox dvs), Audio cable x4, Rubber feet x4, Control vinyl x2
Compatible OS Windows Windows: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (the latest service pack) Mac macOS Sierra 10.12 (updated to the latest version), OS X: 10.11, 10.10, 10.9 (updated to the latest version) CPU Intel® processor Core™ i7, i5, i3
Intel® processor Core™ 2 Duo
2.0 GHz or above
* Audio performance is based on 96 kHz audio format.
* Disclaimer: specifications and price are subject to change.
Box ticker, not game changer
Sometimes, new stuff is about filling gaps in product rosters. And as rekordbox is comparatively late to the DVS game, it’s understandable that the INTERFACE 2 has only just arrived. And given the maturity of the DVS market, bringing anything new to the
turntable is unlikely.
Thus the INTERFACE 2 is simply filling a void in Pioneer DJ’s product offering. It isn’t designed to do anything other than fulfil an existing need but with a Pioneer DJ logo on it. That said, it does look to be a very tasty piece of shiny indeed.
Death, taxes, and …
The INTERFACE 4. You know how this works — numerical nomenclature, Pioneer DJ’s propensity for four channels, and the need to offer everything means that there will almost certainly be a four channel version at some point. Perhaps it’ll be a higher end offering that bridges the production world, thus ticking several boxes at once.
I’m just spitballing though — I have no idea as the first most people (media included) about new Pioneer DJ shiny is when the PR lands in the inbox at 8am on the morning of release. So don’t take this as a “DJWORKXS confirmed today…” type thing.
BUT NO PIONEER TAX
Now here’s where things get interesting. The legendary Pioneer tax is a thing, and it’s generally accepted that the Pioneer logo carries a certain level of premium. But let’s do a quick comparison with the key packages:
Rane Serato DJ SL2: £449
Denon DJ DS-1: £309
Traktor Scratch A6: £239
The INTERFACE 2 comes in at £259/€299/$299, so is aggressively priced against Serato DJ, and not that far away from Traktor Scratch A6 to make a difference.
With the INTERFACE 2, Pioneer DJ ticks a box and brings more choice to the DVS market for people without audio interface enabled mixers, such as the now 13-year-old DJM-909. And it does so for a lot less than you might think. Perhaps this will help rekordbox get a firmer foothold in the wider DJ market too. The INTERFACE 2 is coming early July (so any time now) for £259/€299/$299.