Four years is a long time in the technology driven DJ industry. And that’s how long it’s taken Pioneer DJ to put of an update to their DJM-750 mixer. But rather than a lick of paint and a minor rejig, the updated DJM-750MK2 sees some significant upgrades to the original, including colour effects, Magvel fader, and full rekordbox DVS functionality.
Here’s the official intro:
Rise Up: Introducing the DJM-750MK2 – Professional 4-channel mixer to prepare you for the club –
Loaded with advanced features and FX, plus high-quality USB sound card
1st August 2017: A new 4-channel mixer is joining our range: the DJM-750MK2. To practise mixing at home and step into the club booth with confidence, the DJM-750MK2 makes the ideal addition to your set-up. It inherits various features and design elements from the club-standard DJM-900NXS2 and partners perfectly with XDJ-1000MK2 multi players to create a professional-style set-up that you can hone your skills on.
You can perform seamless mixes on the DJM-750MK2 thanks to the smooth curves on the EQs and channel faders. The Magvel crossfader, inherited from the DJM-900NXS2, gives a precise response and assured feel during even the most complicated scratch techniques. As well as its build quality and feel, other popular elements that come from our flagship club mixer include four Sound Color FX with parameter control and selected Beat FX with FX Frequency, all allowing you to add creative flair to your performances. Warm, high-quality audio comes thanks to the DJM-750MK2’s 64-bit digital signal processor, which uses dithering technology, plus its 32-bit A/D converter and 32-bit D/A converter.
For the flexibility to connect different types of FX units and create the sounds you want, choose from AUX or Insert send/return. You can use software that supports Inter-App Audio on iOS devices and use apps such as effectors, synthesizers and samplers, and choose to combine them with the DJM-750MK2’s internal FX. Simple connection via a USB cable ensures high-quality sound.
Licences for rekordbox dj and rekordbox dvs worth a combined €248 are bundled with the DJM-750MK2, so you can control digital tracks stored on your computer via multiplayers, or via turntables when you use the dedicated control vinyl (available separately). The built-in sound card means you can connect the mixer to your PC/Mac with a single USB cable.
The DJM-750MK2 will be available from early September at an SRP of €1,199 including VAT.
KEY FEATURES OF THE DJM-750MK2
- Professional layout
Mixing on the DJM-750MK2 feels instinctive thanks to the layout design, which inherits traits from the DJM-900NXS2 professional mixer. You can practise at home, then feel comfortable and ready to perform when you arrive at the club.
- Smooth EQs, channel faders and Magvel crossfader
The EQs and channel faders on the DJM-750MK2 feature curves equivalent to those on the DJM-900NXS2, allowing you to perform precise, seamless mixes. You can eliminate each of the high, mid and low EQ bands when you turn their knobs all the way to the left thanks to the isolator feature, and the channel fader curves give accuracy over long mixes. The Magvel crossfader – also inherited from the DJM-900NXS2 – is smooth, accurate and durable for more than 10 million movements and its cut lag has been improved for more assured and responsive performance compared to that of the mixer’s predecessor. If you own a DJM-TOUR1, DJM-900NXS2, DJM-450 or DJM-250MK2, you can update your mixer’s firmware to shorten the crossfader cut lag. The update will be available from our support page soon.
- Professional FX with detailed control
Add texture and flair to your mixes with professional FX inherited from the DJM-900NXS2.
- Sound Color FX: Simply turn the knob to apply Dub Echo, Sweep, Noise and Filter. Parameter control lets you get even more creative.
- Beat FX: Add Delay, Echo, Ping Pong, Spiral, Reverb, Trans, Flanger, Pitch, Roll, Vinyl Brake and Helix in sync with the BPM.
- FX Frequency: Choose which EQ bands you want to apply FX to – low/mid/high.
- Independent send/return: Insert send/return replaces the original sound with the effected sound from the external hardware. Aux send/return gives you the option to route the effected sound to a separate channel and mix it with the original sound. Connect an iOS device and use apps such as effectors, synthesizers and samplers in combination with the DJM-750MK2’s internal FX. Connection via a single USB cable ensures high-quality audio.
- Professional sound quality
Whether you’re playing with digital or analogue sound sources, high-quality sound is created by the 64-bit digital signal processor, dithering technology, 32-bit A/D converter and 32-bit D/A converter.
- Bundled licences for rekordbox dj and rekordbox dvsThe DJM-750MK2 comes with free licence keys for our professional DJ performance application rekordbox dj and the rekordbox dvs Plus Pack, so you can play digital tracks from your PC/Mac using multiplayers or via turntables and the dedicated control vinyl (available separately). The mixer’s built-in sound card means you can connect to your computer using a single USB cable.How to use rekordbox dj and rekordbox dvsBuy the RB-VS1-K Control Vinyl from a Pioneer DJ authorised dealer or directly from our website (limited countries only). Visit rekordbox.com to download the latest version of rekordbox for free and enter your licence keys for rekordbox dj and rekordbox dvs. Find out more.
- Other features
- XLR terminal: High-quality audio output
- Two headphone outputs: ¼” stereo jack and 3.5-mm mini jack
- Signal GND terminal: Easily attach ground wires from analogue turntables
- Gold-plated RCAs: Premium sound quality on all connections
- Independent Mic section
Number of channels 4 x audio channels, 1 x MIC channel Input ports LINE x 4 (RCA)
PHONO x 4 (RCA)
MIC × 1 (XLR & 1/4” TRS Jack）
Output ports MASTER OUT x 2 (XLR x 1, RCA x 1),
BOOTH OUT x 1 (1/4” TRS jack),
HEADPHONE MONITOR OUT x 2 (1/4”
STEREO PHONE JACK, 3.5-mm
STEREO MINI JACK)
USB ports USB (B) x 1, USB (A) x 1 Other ports SEND x 1 (1/4” TS JACK),
RETURN x 1 (1/4” TS JACK)
Sampling rate 48 kHz D/A converter 32-bit A/D converter 32-bit Frequency response 20 Hz to 20 kHz (LINE) S/N ratio 105 dB (LINE) Total harmonic distortion 0.005 % (LINE-MASTER1) Maximum dimensions (W x D x H) 320 mm (W) x 387.9 mm (D) x 107.9 mm (H) Weight 6.6 kg Accessories Power cord, USB cable, Operating instructions
(Quick Start Guide), Licence key card
(rekordbox dj, rekordbox dvs)
Slap bang in the middle
That’s where I see the positioning of the DJM-750MK2. It’s got a little too much for fledgling DJs, but not quite enough to satisfy the stadium rockers. For me this sits right in the middle of everything as a jack of all trades. Pioneer DJ seems to keep hitting the “home” keyword, but I see this being popular out and about too. Perhaps not as a booth fixture, but certainly for those making money at the weekend from their craft.
The inclusion of rekordbox DVS (you’ll need to get rekordbox vinyl though) and the Magvel fader also give some indication of how Pioneer DJ wishes this to have much broader appeal than just filter heavy EDM mixing. But the addition of colour effects will keep the DJs that aspire for the Nexus range a tad happier but not quite as broke. And when you look at the feature set, the gap is not that wide between them either.
Speaking of the gap, I’m pretty certain this means that the DJM-850 will slip off into the discontinued list, leaving the 750 and 900 as logical products in the range with a gap that makes the difference worthwhile. Nothing wrong with a bit of rationalising. Perhaps the range is cleared out or at least repositioned for whatever Pioneer DJ’s response to Denon DJ’s Prime range will be.
For some light entertainment, Pioneer filmed James Hype larking around with some CDJs and the new mixer:
The Pioneer DJ DJM-750MK2 will be available early September for $1199/€1199/£1069.